Currently Reading: Caste by Isabel Wilkerson

Monday, July 11, 2011

The Finkler Question



I started out last week expecting I wasn't going to love every book I read - well here we go.  The first several pages of The Finkler Question introduce us to a rather unsympathetic protagonist, who is so obsessed with Jewish culture that he thinks he might actually, secretly, be Jewish - despite a complete absence of evidence to suggest it. His obsession starts to border on, and then crosses the line into the realm of racism; specifically, anti-Semitism.  This is where I got uncomfortable and frustrated with the book.

Throughout the novel, we experience the inner thoughts of Julian Treslove, a womanizer and spinner of romantic-tragic fantasies usually involving the untimely death of women he loves - who he has also just met.  After a banal incident, Julian grows more and more obsessed with anything and everything Jewish.  Most of his inner thoughts take the form of backhanded compliments -they come from a place of exotifying and idealizing the Other.  He and the other characters we meet think almost always in terms of "us" and "them" - Jews and non-Jews.  It gets grating after a while.  Perhaps it made me uncomfortable because we all have similar conversations internally - thoughts that if we shared would be considered racist (or sexist, ageist, etc.), but we can't prevent our minds from drawing distinctions or repeating stereotypes, even if we can choose not to say them aloud. It made me uncomfortable to consider this for too long.  But I still  wanted to know why Julian was so obsessed with Jewish culture - was it his empty childhood?  His obsession with Tragedy?  I'm still not sure I know.

In the end, the broader subject matter (Israel and Palestine, hate crimes, memory and love) as well as the incredible depth each of the main characters possesses kept me reading.  Jacobson's precise character description, delivery of dialogue, and clever use of language certainly establish him as a great novelist.  But I still find myself wanting to read the other 2010 finalists to see if I would have chosen differently.  Perhaps that is a challenge for the future...

2 comments:

  1. Dear Athena

    I just read your review too!! Snap! Yes dear old Libor was the only character I was really gunning for in the book otherwise I would have stopped reading it about 1/3 of the way through. I haven't read any of the other shortlisted books unfortunately in order to make a comparison. I did start Galgut's In a Strange Room but found the main character in that equally if not more unlikeable. I have hopes of McCarthy's C or Levy's Long Song. Alex

    ReplyDelete
  2. PS I hope you like The Gathering as much as I did....

    ReplyDelete