Currently Reading: Caste by Isabel Wilkerson

Sunday, July 24, 2011

Shortlists - Starting With 2010


This weekend, I went to Helena Montana for the wedding of a very dear friend.  I had just started The White Tiger, and decided against bringing another book.  Big mistake.  I had much more travel time than anticipated, and The White Tiger ended up being a much faster read than anticipated (post to come).  So, even before hopping on my return flight (and light-rail ride) I needed a new book, and I needed it fast.

Luckily, my friend and travel companion had also run out of her reading material.  We made a quick trip to Hastings before heading to the airport.  But Hastings didn't exactly stock the entire list of Man Booker Prize winners, and I was having trouble finding a good one to purchase.  And this is why I am officially expanding this blog to cover Booker Prize winners AND shortlist nominees.  The Man Booker Prize also publishes a longlist of contenders (normally about 13 books) but I'm not sure if I have the energy to add any of those yet...

My first Shortlist novel is Room, by Emma Donoghue.  Room was Shortlisted for the Booker Prize in 2010 along with 5 other books, including that year's winner, The Finkler Question.  The other books that made the shortlist are:

Peter Carey Parrot and Olivier in America
Damon Galgut In a Strange Room
Andrea Levy The Long Song
Tom McCarthy C

All of these, as well as shortlisted novels for other years are now officially on my list.

No comments:

Post a Comment