Currently Reading: Caste by Isabel Wilkerson

Wednesday, May 23, 2012

What I Read on Vacation



My husband and I went to Kauai for 11 days.  It was awesome- I want to go back immediately.  And in addition to rain forest hiking, beach adventures, and soaking up lots of sunshine, I read several books.  These books mostly do not meet the criteria for my blog (though I may review them later - I was on vacation after all!)
Still, I thought you might be interested to know what I read:

This was my monthly book club book - it was light beach reading but I didn't connect with the characters as much as I would have liked to.  And I found it hard to distinguish between the voices of the several narrators, which was tricky.









I have enjoyed the other Amy Tan novels I have read - and this one surpassed the others by far.  I was drawn into her narrative and her characters - and moved to tears by the end.  Perfect vacation reading!









Its a potentially great set up - but I felt that throughout the story I had no idea what motivated the main character to leave her family, and I got the sense that Anne Tyler didn't either.  Not sure I would recommend this to anyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment